She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands. -Proverbs 31:13

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tangledfibers

Friday, April 15, 2011

Felting Camel




A friend of mine raises camels and she gave me a bag full of down. I have washed it, removed the coarse outer hair, carded it and felted it into several scarves. Hopefully she will like at least one of them. All of that work makes me appreciate commercially produced fiber.

I took a spinning class last weekend at DFW Fiberfest and I've reached a few conclusions. If I lived in pre-industrial revolution times and had to raise the sheep, clean and card the wool, spin the yarn, weave the fabric, and sew the clothing we would be wearing either very few clothes or a lot of buckskin. Each task is enjoyable, but the idea of producing enough fabric to clothe a family is daunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment